In a local-staging-live workflow, often we have some restrictions on both local and staging / development environments. A common restriction is to disallow indexing of the development site that may introduce duplicate content in the search result, if indexing is allowed (that is not uncommon when we set up the live site and then copy it to develop further :-) ). There are lot more restrictions and workarounds in order to setup a perfect development or local environment. Here, let me share a particular solution regarding emails. Let me start with some of the use cases.
There are plenty of scripts in the internet, some of them even open source, that helps us to install WordPress automatically in a (single) server. Bitnami is the most popular among them. However, none of them met my requirements. I have some design considerations, security requirements and performance checklists. Since none of the existing tools met all my principles, I started developing my own tool to setup a (single) WordPress site in a (tiny) server.
Amazon Lightsail by Amazon Web Services is targeted towards new webmasters, server admins, DIY enthusiasts among others. It provides much more predictable pricing than EC2 based servers where the pricing is calculated as a cumulative cost of individual components (server, disk, bandwidth, etc).
Today is the day when Google has started implementing mobile friendliness as a search engine ranking factor. The actual announcement in this regard was done two months ago in the official WebMasterCentral blog. It also started showing a tiny warning in the official blog since then. If you use WordPress and if your site is not mobile friendly, yet, there are options to convert it (for free) to fit into mobiles nicely.
Last month, a WordPress site with a fairly active forum (related to Beatles) needed to be migrated to another server. The forum had a new post at least every 30 minutes, including on week ends when the traffic to the site is the lowest.
This is the rough overview of the process: Continue reading “Mitigating DNS worries while changing hosts!”
During the past 24 hours, there were two people had the following situation and were looking for a solution. Their use-case is…
I’m currently using a Nginx frontend / Apache backend setup. The W3 Total Cache plugin detects Apache and will only show me the Apache rewrite rules.
Here’s another quote from the other person who was looking for a similar solution…
The nginx.conf file does not exist. W3 Total Cache plugin detects that Apache is running – thus gives me the rewrites for that webserver instead. I am using Nignx in front of Apache – not a Nginx/PHP-FPM solution
Interesting, but not uncommon. So, I dived in and modified my existing Nginx rules for WP Super Cache plugin and provided a unique solution. Continue reading “W3 Total Cache configuration for Nginx-Apache server stack”
Update (Feb 5, 2013): The beta version that I tested, has been released as version 0.9.2.6 with more features than mentioned below. So, this post is void as of February 5, 2013 (in less than 2 weeks of publishing it). :(-
W3 Total Cache is back in active development, nearly after a year. I’m one of the lucky people who got the opportunity to test the beta version of the upcoming release, probably 220.127.116.11! It brings a few new features, including a more-intuitive troubleshooter. Continue reading “W3 Total Cache 1.0? – Sneak Peek!”
There was an interesting question in the Nginx mailing list regarding replacing Varnish with Nginx as a load balancer. Let me quote the question directly here…
We are using Varnish in front of 3 load balanced web servers running apache. We had migrated from one hosting platform where we had 1 app server and 1 database server using Varnish (Drupal 6.x) and had no issues. Now that we are running in a load balanced environment (3 load balanced apache web servers, a Varnish server, and 1 database server) we are seeing mulitple examples of cacheing issues. (Pages not displaying correctly… style issues, data input staying cached and used on another page, etc).
We think we can just replace the Varnish server and use a NGinx server. I don’t want to necessarily remove all the apache servers, but we have to get this cacheing issue corrected….